Asmara M. Tekle
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1154
Joined the faculty in 2006.
J.D., Cornell Law School, Ithaca, NY
A.B., cum laude, Harvard College, Cambridge, MA
- Property I
- Property II
- Texas Property Law
- Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2012-Present)
- Associate Dean for Research & Faculty Development, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2012-2015)
- Associate Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2009-2012)
- Assistant Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2006-2009)
- Owner, Law Office of Asmara M. Tekle, PLLC, Houston, TX (2004-2006)
- Associate, Andrews Kurth, Houston, TX (2001-2003)
- Federal Law Clerk, Honorable Carl E. Stewart, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Shreveport, LA (2000-2001)
- Roll on, Cyclist: The Idaho Rule, Traffic Law, and the Quest to Incentivize Urban Cycling, 92 CHI.-KENT. L. REV. ____ (2017) (Symposium entitled Cities in Crisis)
- Rectifying These Mean Streets: Percent-for-Art, Street Furniture, and the New Streetscape, 104 KY. L.J. 409 (2016).
- Have a Scoop of Grandpa: Composting as a Means of Final Disposition of Human Remains, 3 SAVANNAH L. REV. 137 (2016) (Colloquium entitled, The Walking Dead, examining death and the effect of the dead on the living).
- Lawns and the New Watershed Law, 95 MARQ. L. REV. 213 (2011) (Symposium entitled, Changing Conceptions of Water in the Law, 2011 AALS Property and Agricultural Law Joint Sections Meeting).
- Law and the Authoritarian Aesthetic of the American Lawn, ART LIES, Spring/Summer 2011 at 44.
- The "Non-Maternal Wall" and Women of Color in High Governmental Office, 35 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 169 (2010).
- Safe: Restrictive Covenants and the Next Wave of Sex Offender Restrictions, 62 SMU L. REV. 1817 (2009).
- In The Zone: Sex Offenders and the Ten-Percent Solutions, 94 IOWA L. REV. 607 (2009).
- Privatizing Eminent Domain: The Delegation of a Very Public Power to Private, Non-Profit and Charitable Corporations, 56 AM. U. L. REV. 455 (2007) (lead article).
- Correcting for Kelo: Social Capital Impact Assessments and the Re-Balancing of Power Between "Desperate" Cities, Corporate Interests and the Average Joe, 16 CORNELL J. L. & PUB. POL'Y 187 (2006).
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff