Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development and Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1190
Joined the faculty in 2008.
J.D., (1st in Class) Howard University School of Law, Washington, D.C., 1997
B.A., (Echols and Jerome Holland Scholar) University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, (Mathematics and Spanish), 1994
Lawyering Process I
Lawyering Process II
Wills & Trusts
- Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall of Law, Houston, TX (2016-Present)
- Associate Dean for Research and Faculty Development, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston TX (2015-Present)
- Director of Legal Writing, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX
- Associate Professor of Law (Tenured), Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall of Law, Houston, TX (2014-2016)
- Associate Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX
- Assistant Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX
- Lecturer in Law, University of California School of Law, Los Angeles, CA (2004-2008)
Additional Biographical Information
- Associate (Tax/ERISA), Baker Botts LLP, Houston TX (1999-2004)
- Federal Law Clerk, Honorable Vanessa D. Gilmore, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston, TX (1997-1999)
- The Elephant in the Law School Assessment Room: The Role of Student Responsibility and Motivating Our Students to Learn, 56 How. L.J. 447 (2013).
- Legal Analysis: 100 Exercises for Mastery and Teacher’s Manual (2012) (with Katherine Vukadin).
- The Psychology of Hope: Legal Educators Must Strengthen Students’ “Waypower” to Succeed, The Learning Curve, Winter 2012, at 13.
- Peer Editing: A Comprehensive Pedagogical Approach to Maximize Assessment Opportunities, Integrate Collaborative Learning, and Achieve Desired Outcomes, 13 Nev. L.J. 667 (2011).
- All Hands on Deck: Maximizing Existing Resources to Improve Students’ Basic Writing Skills, AALS Sec. on Teaching Methods, Jan. 3, 2011, at 7.
- Now I See: Redefining the Post-Grade Conference as Process and Substance Assessment, 54 HOWARD L. J. 1 (2010) (co-author) (lead article).
- Keynote Speech: "Assessment-Driven Collaboration Inside and Outside the Classroom," 2011 North Carolina and South Carolina Legal Writing Colloquium, North Carolina Central University School of Law (May 2011).
- "LRW Staffing Models and Status Issues," Junior Faculty Development Workshop, Sixteenth Annual LatCrit Conference (October 2011).
- "The Bottom Drawer: Exploring Scholarship Topics," Association of Legal Writing Directors Biennial Conference, Pacific McGeorge School of Law (co-presenter) (June 2011).
- "Collaboration: Getting Going as Scholarly Writers" presented at the Thurgood Marshall School of Law Research Week Program (April 2010).
- "Using Outcomes Assessment to Develop and Measure Students' Acquisition of Fundamental Lawyering Skills," Institute for Law
- Teaching and Learning, New York Law School (co-presenter) (June 2011).
- "Legal Writing Seminar," Houston Bar Association, Minority Opportunities in the Legal Profession (April 2010).
- "Making It All Work - A Three-Pronged Approach to Law School Assessment," Thurgood Marshall School of Law's Research Week
- Faculty Presentations (co-presenter) (April 2011).
- "Peer Editing: A Comprehensive Approach to Maximize Assessment Opportunities, Integrate Collaborative Learning, and Achieve Desired Outcomes," American University Washington College of Law's How Legal Rhetoric Shapes the Law: Pedagogy, Theory, Practice Colloquium (October 2010).
- "Critical Approaches to Law School Teaching: A Methodology to Reach All Students (and Maintain Our Sanity) in an Outcomes and Assessment Based Era," Third National People of Color Legal Scholarship Conference, Seton Hall University School of Law (presenter and panel moderator) (September 2010).
- "Sharing What Works: Enhancing Our Teaching Through Technology," Legal writing Institute Biennial Conference (co-presenter) (June 2010).
- "Now I See: Redefining the Post-Grade Conference as Process and Substance Assessment," Texas Southern University's Research Week Faculty Presentations (co-presenter) (April 2010).
- "How to Write for Your Audience," Thurgood Marshall School of Law (Consumer Rights Course) (Fall 2009).
- "Nuts and Bolts of 401(k) Plans," Southwest Benefits association, Annual Plan Administrators Skills Workshop (February 2003).
- "FASB Interpretation No. 44, A Lawyer's Summary of the New Accounting Interpretation on Stock Plans," (August 2000).
- "The Role of a Federal Law Clerk," Seminar for Admission to the Southern District of Texas (Spring 1998).
- State Bar of Texas
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Lawyers Association
- Legal Writing Institute
- Association of Legal Writing Directors
- Phi Alpha Delta
Selected Honors and Awards
- Managing Editor and Editorial Board Member, LWI Monograph series Publication (2011-Present)
Howard Law Journal (1995-1997)
- Howard National Moot Court Team (1995-1996)
- Merit Scholarship Recipient (1994-1997)
- American Jurisprudence Awards for Academic Achievement (Legal Writing, Torts, Securities Regulations, Federal Taxation, Evidence and Family Law)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff