Katherine T. Vukadin
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-7395
Joined the faculty in 2009
J.D. (with honors), University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TX, 1999
Certificate of Political Science, L'Institut D'Etudes Politiques de Paris, Paris, France
B.A., University of Houston (Honors College, Political Science and French Majors), Houston, Texas
- Lawyering Process I
- Lawyering Process II
- Appellate Litigation
- Health Law
- Civil Procedure
- Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, Texas (2017 - Present)
- Associate Professor of Law (Tenured), Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, Texas (2013 - 2017)
- Assistant Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, Texas (2009 - 2013)
- Clinical Assistant Professor & Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
(2005-2006, Summer 2008-Spring 2009 and Fall 2001)
- Associate, Healthcare & ERISA Litigation, Strasburger & Price, L.L.P., Houston, Texas (2004-2005)
- Associate, Litigation, Baker Botts L.L.P. (1999-2003)
- Intern to the Honorable James Baker, Texas Supreme Court (1998)
- Research Assistant to Dean Michael Sharlot, University of Texas Law School (1998 - 1999)
- On Opiods & Erisa: The Urgent Case for Federal Ban on Discretionary Clauses (work in progress)
- Out of the Box Legal Writing Ideas (2018, contributing author) (work in progress)
- Employee Benefits Treatise (LexisNexis 2018) (contributing author)
- Legal Analysis: 100 Exercises for Mastery and Teacher's Manual (2017) (2nd Edition) (with Cassandra Hill)
- Can the ACA’s Independent Review of ERISA Health Claims Co-exist with the Abuse of Discretion Standard? N.Y.U. Rev. of Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Fall 2016) (invited publication)
- Obamacare Interrupted: Obstructive Federalism & the Consumer Information Blockade, 63 Bᴜғғ. L. Rᴇᴠ. 421 (2015).
- The Affordable Care Act and the Problem of Delayed and Denied ERISA Health Care Claim, 47 J. Mᴀʀsʜᴀʟʟ L. Rᴇᴠ. 887 (2014).
- Failure to Warn: Facing Up to the Real Impact of Pharmaceutical Marketing on the Physician’s Decision to Prescribe, 50 Tᴜʟsᴀ L. Rᴇᴠ. 75 (2014).
- Hope or Hype? Why the Affordable Care Act's New External Review Rules for Denied ERISA Healthcare Claims Need More Reform, 60 Bᴜғғ. L. Rᴇᴠ. 1 (2012).
- Legal Analysis 100 Exercises for Mastery and Teacher's Manual (2012) (with Cassandra Hill).
- Delayed and Denied: Toward an Effective ERISA Remedy for Improper Processing of Healthcare Claims, 11 Yale J. Health Poly'L. and Ethics 331(2011).
- Now I See: Redefining the Post-Grade Student Conference as Process and Substance Assessment (with Prof. Cassandra Hill), 54 How. L. J. 1 (2010).
- Advanced Persuasive Legal Writing Techniques, Presentation to Lone Star Legal Aid Attorneys and Legal Assistants (June 2017).
- Can the ACA’s Independent Review of ERISA Health Claims Co-exist with the Abuse of Discretion Standard? Presentation as part of the John Marshall Law School’s Employee Benefits Symposium in Chicago, Illinois (2016)
- Legal Writing Without Borders: How to Cultivate Your Second Research and Teaching Subject Presented as part of the Legal Writing Institute’s Biennial Conference in Portland, Oregon (2016)
- Obamacare Interrupted: Obstructive Federalism and the Consumer Information Blockade. Presentation in October 2014 at St. Mary’s University Law School as part of the Southern Central Association of Law Schools speaker series.
- Side Effects: Facing Up to the Real Impact of Pharmaceutical Marketing on the Physician’s Decision to Prescribe Presentation at the American Society of Law, Medicine & Ethics Health Law Professors Conference in San Francisco, California in June 2014.
- Mastery Through Practice: Guided and Self-Guided Practice in the Law School Classroom, Faculty Forum presentation (Feb. 15, 2013).
- The Importance of Publications in the Academic Market, panel presentation as part of the Southeast Southwest People of Color Conference at Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Spring 2014.
- All Rise! Planning an Informative and Inspiring Judicial Visit to Your Legal Writing Classroom Presentation (with Professor Hill) at the Legal Writing Institute’s Biennial National Conference in Palm Springs, California in May 2012.
- Real-Life Legal Writing: Making Your Transition from Law School to Practice Presentation at the Rocky Mountain Region of the Black Law Students’ Association’s Job Fair and Academic Retreat at the University of Houston on October 15, 2011.
- Texas Legislative Intern Program Orientation Writing Seminar: Writing seminar (with Professor Hill) in January 2011 and January 2014 for Texas Southern University students with upcoming legislative internships.
- Making it All Work: Thinking Critically About Law School Assessment: Presentation on collaborative scholarly writing together with Professor Cassandra Hill as part of the TMSL’s Research Week program in April 2011.
- Toward a Complete and Compelling Case Explanation, presentation at the Association of Legal Writing Directors' Innovative Teaching Techniques Workshop, March 2010.
- Now I See: The Post-Grade Student Conference as Positive Strategy Session, presentation at the Rocky Mountain Regional Legal Writing Conference (with Prof. Cassandra Hill), March 2010.
- Collaboration: Getting Going as Scholarly Writers, presentation at the Thurgood Marshall School of Law Research Week program, April 2010.
- Delayed and Denied? Toward an Effective ERISA Remedy for Improper Processing of Healthcare Claims, presented at the 2009-10 TMSL Faculty Quodlibet Speaker Series
- Focus: Teaching Legal Writing in the Age of Distraction, presentation at the Southeast Regional Legal Writing Conference, September 2009 (with Prof. Lewis).
Honors and Awards
- Legal Writing Institute
- State Bar of Texas
- Admitted to practice before the Southern and Northern Districts of Texas
- Admitted to practice before the Eastern District of Louisiana
- Admitted to practice before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Houston Bar Association
- American Society of Medicine Law & Ethics / St. Louis University Health Law Scholar 2013
- First Place Award, Faculty Oral Presentation in TSU's Research Week for an oral presentation of research on conferencing with students (with Prof. Cassandra Hill).
- Fellow of the Houston Young Lawyers Association
- National Merit Scholar
- Rhodes Scholarship Nominee for the University of Houston
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar in Paris, France
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff