Lupe S. Salinas
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-7353
Joined the faculty in 2000.
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX, 1972
B.A., Political Science, cum laude, University of Houston, Houston, TX, 1970
Civil Rights Law
Latinos and the Law Seminar
- Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2000-Present)
- Visiting District Court Judge, Houston, TX (1997-2006)
- Judge, 351st District Court, Houston, TX (1989-1996)
- Chief, Federal Trial Division, Harris County Attorney's Office, Houston, TX (1985-1988)
- Visiting Professor of Law, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX (1985)
- Chief, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Attorney's Office, Houston, TX (1980-1983)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX (1975, 1982, 1985, 1992-1993)
- Distinguished Lecturer, Political Science, University of Houston, Houston, TX (1975-1983, 1992-1994)
- Special Assistant to the U.S. Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. (1979-1980)
- Assistant United States Attorney, Southern District of Texas, Civil Rights Division, Houston, TX (1977-1979)
- Assistant District Attorney, Harris County, Houston, TX (1974-1977)
- Staff Attorney, Mexican-American Legal Defense & Educational Fund (MALDEF), San Antonio, TX (1972-1974)
- Arizona's Desire to Eliminate Ethnic Studies Programs: A Time to Take the "Pill" and to Engage Latino Students in Critical Education,
- About Their History, 14 HARV. LATINO L. REV. 301 (2011).= part of ethnic studies above
- L. Salinas & Janelle Martinez, The Right to Confrontation Compromised: Monolingual Jurists Subjectively Assessing the English-Language Abilities of Spanish-Dominant Accused, 18 AM. U. J. GENDER SOC. POL'Y & L. 543 (2010).
- Constitutional Remedies for Latino Educational Neglect, Chapter in Maurice R. Dyson & Daniel Weddle (eds.), OUR PROMISE: ACHIEVING EDUCATION EQUITY FOR AMERICA'S CHILDREN (Carolina Academic Press, 2009).
- Colon-Navarro & L. Salinas, Latinos, Terrorism and U.S. Immigration Policy, 1 HNBA J. L. & POL'Y 39 (2008).
- Immigration and Language Rights: The Evolution of Private Racist Attitudes into American Public Law and Policy, 7 NEVADA L. J. 895 (2007).
- Linguaphobia, Language Rights and the Right of Privacy, 3 STAN. J. C.R. & C. L. 53 (2007).
- L. Salinas & Dr. Robert H. Kimball, The Equal Treatment of Unequals: Barriers Facing Latinos and the Poor in Texas Public Schools, 14 GEO. J. POV. L. & POL'Y 215 (2007).
- Is It Time to Kill the Death Penalty?: A View from the Bench and the Bar, 34 AMER. J. OF CRIM. L. 39 (2006).
- Latino Educational Neglect: The Results Bespeak Discrimination, 5 U. OF MD. L. J. 269 (2005).
- Latinos and Criminal Justice in Texas: Has the New Millennium Brought Progress?, 30 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 298 (2005).
- Deportations, Removals and the 1996 Immigration Acts: A Modern Look at the Ex Post Facto Clause, 22 B. U. INT'L L. J. 245 (2004).
- Gus Garcia and Thurgood Marshall: Two Legal Giants Fighting for Justice, 28 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 145 (2003).
- Lecturer, Foro: Análisis de la Reforma Constitucional en Materia de Seguridad Pública y Derecho Penal (Forum: Analysis of the Constitutional Reform in Matters of Public Security and Criminal Law), Topic: The Presumption of Innocence and Oral Trials, Puebla, Puebla, México, March 31-April 2, 2008.
- Course Director, MABAH Seminar for the General Practitioner, Houston, TX., 1993
- Co-Director, MABAH Seminar for the General Practitioner, Houston, TX., 1994
- Speaker, Hearsay, Chisme and Other Interesting Topics, Hidalgo County Young Lawyers Association, McAllen, TX, September 1997
- Lecturer, From Monroe to Monell to Money: Section 1983 Litigation, MABAH Seminar for the General Practitioner, South Texas College of Law, Houston TX, March 1994
- Lecturer, Demonstrative Evidence, State Bar of Texas, Advanced Civil Law C.L.E., Houston, TX, September 1991
- Lecturer, Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, State Bar of Texas, Advanced Criminal Law Seminar, Dallas TX, July 1994
- Lecturer, Texas Criminal Proceedings, (in Spanish), Texas/Puebla Judicial conference on the Administration of Justice, Puebla, Puebla, Mexico, July 1989, May 1992
- Lecturer, The United States Criminal Justice System (in Spanish), U.S. State Department, U.S. Information Service, Lima Peru, April 10-14, 1988
Honors and Awards
- Hispanic Bar Association, Lifetime Achievement Award, May 1995
- Houston Area Women's Center, Community Service Award, November 1989
- Houston Five Outstanding Young Men Award, presented by the Houston Jaycees, February 1983
- Arthur S. Flemming Award, presented by the Washington, D.C. Jaycees as one of the 10 outstanding Federal Government Employees, April 1983
- IMAGE Hispanic of the Year, 1985
- Supreme Court of Texas, 1972
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1972-88
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1973-88
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 1973-88
- Houston Bar Association
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff