Associate Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-7276
Writings Available for Download on SSRN
Joined the faculty in 2013.
J.D., 2009 University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
Ph.D., 2006 University of California, Santa Barbara
M.T.S., 2000 Harvard Divinity School
B.A., magna cum laude, 1998 University of Houston
- Associate Professor, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2013-present)
- Contributing Editor, Jotwell Criminal Law (2015-present)
- Contributing Editor, The Islamic Monthly (2016-present)
- Chair, Subcommittee on Pell Grant Funding, American Bar Association (2014-present)
- Fellow, Institute for Social Policy & Understanding, Washington D.C. (2012-2016)
- Board of Governors, Society of American Law Teachers (2012-2015)
- Visiting Professor, Seattle University School of Law (Summer 2013, 2015)
- Assistant Professor, Saint Louis University School of Law, Saint Louis, MO (2010-2013)
Op-eds & Short Pieces
Color Coded Criminal Procedure—Exploring How Law Enables Racism, Disparate Treatment, Violence, Jotwell Criminal Law, 6/19/17.
Radical, Jihadist, Terrorist: The Difference and Why it Matters, The Islamic Monthly, 2/13/17.
- Growing Support for Restoring Pell Grants to Prisoners, 22 Corrections Managers’ Report 37 (2016).
- The Return of Pell Grants for Prisoners?, 31 American Bar Association Criminal Justice Magazine 10 (2016).
- Trump Cries and Media Wolves, The Islamic Monthly, 10/31/16.
- How Implicit Bias Drags Down Clinton, The Islamic Monthly, 10/7/16.
- The Orlando Massacre and Death of Muhammad Ali: Lessons in Love & Hate for the 2016 Presidential Election, The Islamic Monthly, 10/7/16.
- Exorcising Trump: Time's up for Religious Leaders, Huffington Post, 9/6/16.
- Trump Stabs Supporters with Kaepernick, Huffington Post, 9/9/16.
- The Wrath of Khan: Immigrants Shatter the Trump Narrative, The Islamic Monthly, 8/4/16.
- Muhammad Ali's Death is Right on Time for Muslims, The Islamic Monthly, 6/10/16.
- Trump Threatens to Awaken a Sleeping Giant, Huffington Post, 6/9/16.
- Sonic Jihad: Muslim Hip Hop in the Age of Mass Incarceration, The Islamic Monthly, 4/27/16.
- Fort Wayne Killings: Fostering Distrust in Policing, The Islamic Monthly, 3/4/16.
- Crimmigration Law Comes of Age, Jotwell Criminal Law, 3/4/16.
- Concealed Handgun Laws: (Fire)power to the People?, Huffington Post, 11/18/15.
- Ben Carson: Islamophobe Extraordinaire, The Islamic Monthly, 9/23/15.
- Rethinking Proportionality in Punishment, Jotwell Criminal Law, 6/10/15.
- Protesting Islam—American Style, The Islamic Monthly, 6/3/15.
- Revamping the Texas Rules of Evidence: Style Over Substance, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2/26/15.
- Arkansas Muslim Prisoner Wins a Case, Adds to Legal Legacy, The Islamic Monthly, 1/26/15.
- Restore Pell Grants for Prisoners, Huffington Post, 1/16/15.
- Prisons, Muslim Memory and the Making of a Terrorist, The Conversation, 1/9/15.
- Experiential Education and the Law School Experience, 21 The Law Teacher 52 (2014).
- Religion and Revolution: The Promise of a Fresh Look, Huffington Post, 10/20/14.
- ISIS, Latinos & the Brunt of Border Politics, Huffington Post, 10/10/14.
- The Education Apocalypse—20 years of Ongoing Fall Out, Huffington Post, 7/17/14.
- The Muslim Vote: Down by Law, Huffington Post, 10/31/13.
- What If They Force-fed Gandhi?,Huffington Post, 9/2/13.
- Classroom Justice: Beyond Paper-Chase Pedagogy, 33 The Law Teacher 35 (2013).
- Supremacist Terror Rising, Islamic Extremism on the Decline, Huffington Post, 4/9/13.
- The Waning Pulse of Islamic Radicalization in America, The Islamic Monthly, 3/12/13.
- Growing Faith: Prisons, Hip Hop & Islam, Huffington Post, 3/7/13.
- Model Rule 6.1: A Lawyer’s Duty to Increase Access to Justice, The Young Lawyer, 11/5/12.
- Questions about East Saint Louis Curfew, Saint Louis Beacon, 10/5/2012.
- Legalize Marijuana for Racial-Justice Reasons, Seattle Times, 10/2/2012.
- False Alarms on Islam, Saint Louis American, 8/9/2012.
- Islam, Prisons and Latinos, Saint Louis American, 2/2/2012.
- Obama Chokes on Medical Marijuana, Arizona State Law Journal Blog, 9/12/2011.
- Guest commentary: Radical Islam in prisons is made in the USA, St. Louis Post Dispatch, 6/30/2011.
- Radical Islam in Prison: Made in the USA, Huffington Post, 6/21/2011.
- Islam in American Barrios & Prisons: Converts Reclaim Moorish Spain, Reject Church, Jadaliyya.com, 1/7/2011.
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff