Joan R.M. Bullock
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1074
Fax: (713) 313-1049
The University of Toledo College of Law, J.D.
The University of Michigan, M.B.A
Michigan State University, B.A., Legal and Political Theory
Professor of Law, Thurgood Marshall School of Law (2023 – present)
Dean and Professor of Law, Thurgood Marshall School of Law (2019 – 2022)
President Emerita, Thomas Jefferson School of Law (2018 – 2019)
President and Dean, Thomas Jefferson School of Law (2017-2018)
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Florida A&M Univ. College of Law (2015-2017)
Associate Dean for Teaching and Faculty Development, Florida A&M Univ. College of Law (2012-2015)
Interim Director of Admissions and Recruitment, Florida A&M Univ. College of Law (January – June 2010)
Professor of Law, Florida A&M Univ. College of Law (June 2002 – 2017)
The Reformed Law Prof SM, Sage Evolution, LLC (2010 – Present)
Manager Member, Joan R. Bullock PLLC (1985-2004)
Professor of Law, The University of Toledo College of Law (1991-2002)
Product Specialist, General Motors Service Parts Operations (1991)
Tax Associate, Coopers & Lybrand (1988-1990)
Associate Professor of Law (1984-1986)
Publications, Writings and Presentations
- The Importance of Diversity and Inclusion for Attorney Wellness, in Be The Best Lawyer You Can Be: A Lawyer's Guide to Physical, Mental, Emotional and Spiritual Wellness (Stewart Levine, ed., ABA Law Practice Division, July 2018).
- How to Achieve Success After the BarExam: A Step-By-Step Action Plan (ABA Law Practice Division, May 2014).
- The Importance of Diversity and Inclusion in Attorney Wellness, ABA Law Prac. Today, Jul. 2017, http://www.lawpracticetoday.org/article/importance-diversity-inclusion-attorney-wellness/.
- Characteristics of a Troubled Firm, ABA Law Prac. Today, May 2017, http://www.lawpracticetoday.org/article/characteristics-troubled-firm/.
- Managing Debt for the New Lawyer, Law Prac. Sept-Oct. 2016, http://www.mazdigital.com/webreader/43138?page=50.
- MELawyering: The Art of Self-Advocacy, ABA Law Prac. Today, Jan. 2014 issue.
- Failure: It’s How You Define It, ABA Law Prac. Today, Jul. 2014, http://www.lawpracticetoday.org/article/failure-define/.
- Law Firm Financial Management: Satisfying Clients and Increasing Profitability,ABA Annual Meeting, Law Practice Management Section, Chicago, Illinois, August 2005.
- The 10 Stupid Things Lawyers Do to Mess Up Their Practice–in Business Management, Practice Management, Client Management, and LifeManagement, NBA 80th Annual Convention, Orlando, Florida, August 2005.
- Is Your Practice Killing You? Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.) Spring 2004, at 3.
- The GOSPA According To You, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.), Fall, 2003, at 3.
- Troubled or Thriving Business? ABA Law Prac. Today. Aug. 2003, http://www.abanet.org/lpm/lpt/articles/fin0808031.html.
- Solo’s Corner: Taking Care of Business, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi.,Lansing, Mi.), Winter, 2003, at 3.
- Online Education: No Substitute for the Classroom, Jan. 2003, http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/ lessonsfromthe web.
- Solo’s Corner: Serendipity, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.), Fall, 2002, at 4.
- Solo’s Corner: Finding Paying Clients Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.), Summer, 2002, at 4-5.
- Solo’s Corner: Knowledge is Not Power, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.), Spring, 2002, at 4-5.
- Solo’s Corner: Sell What You Know, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.), Winter, 2002, at 2.
- Controlling Costs, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.) , Fall, 2001, at 5.
- Solo’s Corner: Ending Representation or “It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over”, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.) , Summer, 2001, at 3.
- Solo’s Corner: Developing a Systems Practice, Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.) Spring, 2001, at 3.
- Solo’s Corner: Are You On the Right Track? Law Prac. Mgmt. Newsl. (St. B. Mi., Lansing, Mi.) Winter, 2001, at 2; reprinted in the Winter 2001 newsletter of Anderson Boyer Group, an Ann Arbor firm providing consulting services to law firms.
- “Creating and Maintaining a Secure Environment,” Central Florida Family Law American Inn of Court on Monday, February 13, 2017.
- “Build Your Legal Career and Brand Panel Discussion,” sponsored by the ABA Section of Science and Technology Law, the ABA Young Lawyers Division, and the ABA Miami Law Students. University of Miami School of Law, February 2, 2017.
- “Workshop on Legal Education: Preparing Students for Solo and Small Firm Practice,” Moderator, SEALS Annual Conference, Amelia Island, Florida, August 8, 2016.
- “How to Achieve Success After the Bar Exam: A Step-by-Step Action Plan,” San Diego School of Law Office of Career & Professional Development, February 2016.
- “Mandatory Accrual Accounting for Law Firms: Tax Reform or Impending Storm?” Moderator, ABA Law Practice Division, Webinar, December 2015.
- “Implicit Bias 101: What All Lawyers Need to Know,” Moderator, ABA Science & Technology Section, Webinar, August 2015.
- “Counting the Costs: Ramifications of Dismissing the Business Case for Diversity,” ABA Presidential CLE Showcase, Chicago, IL, July 2015.
- “Imagineering the Future Law Office: Disney Keynote and Expert Panel Discussion,” ABA Law Practice Division, Orlando, FL, June 5, 2015.
- “How to Achieve Success After the Bar Exam,” ABA Law Practice Division, Webinar, May, 2015.
- “The 3 Reasons Why Lawyers Don’t Have Thriving Practices and What You Can Do about It,” UCF Business Incubator, Orlando, FL, December 2014.
- “Dollars & Sense: Trust Accounting Using Technology,” Florida A&M University College of Law, Orlando, FL, November 2014.
- “Business Planning for Lawyers,” San Diego Bar Association, San Diego, CA, October 2014.
- “Marketing and Leadership Development,” ABA Women Rainmakers, San Diego, CA, October 2014.
- “Ethics: Tips and Tactics for Your Practice,” 17th Annual Land Use Law Conference, Tampa, FL, August 2014.
- “Be in Control of Your Story,” New Lawyer Training, Orange County Bar Association, Orlando, FL, August 2014.
- “The 21st Century Lawyer: The Client’s Hero,” Skype presentation to Attorneys Creative Roundtable, Chicago, IL, June 2014.
- "Cloud 9 Talks Professionalism and Ethics in the Virtual World," Orange County Bar Association, Orlando, FL, February 2014.
- “Ethics & Technology in Today’s Practice of Law,” The 16th Annual Land Use Law Conference, Tampa, FL, August 2013.
- "How to Control Your Business Instead of Having Your Business Control You," Orange County Bar Association, Orlando, FL, July 2013.
- "The Ethics Game" 2013 Black Executive Exchange Program, Orlando, FL, June 2013.
- "Basics of Accounting for Lawyers," ABA 2013 Minority Counsel Program, Chicago, IL, May 2013.
- "Business Development Through Building Your Brand," ABA National Conference for Minority Lawyers, Chicago, IL, May 2013.
- "Challenges and Opportunities for Diverse 21st Century Lawyers: Ethical Considerations of Emerging
- "The 21st Century Lawyer: Ethical Issues for the Real Estate Attorney," The 49th Annual Fund Assembly, Orlando, FL, May 2013.
- "Dollars and Sense: Trust Accounting Using Technology," Florida A&M University College of Law, Orlando, FL, March 2013.
- "What's Holding You Back: Preparing for the Growth of Your Practice," THE REFORMED LAW PROFSM, Avvo Webinar, March 2013.
- Representing the Impaired Client: Attorney's Ethical Duties v. Client Substance Abuse," FAMU College of Law, March 2013.
- "Networking and Strategic Relationships--Gaining Access to Key People and Resources," Ark, Women Legal 2013, San Francisco, CA, January 2013.
- "Strategic and Ethical Business Development for Lawyers," Florida A&M University College of Law, September 2012.
- "The Business of the Practice," The Reformed Law ProfSM, St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami, FL, March 2012.
- "The Business Case for Diversity," ABA New Partner and In-House Counsel Conference, Philadelphia, PA, March 2012.
- "Marketing for Lawyers and Law Firms Series," The Reformed Law ProfSM, Orlando, FL, 2010 - 2012.
- "Communication Skills for Attorneys," Florida A&M University College of Law, November 2011.
- "Finding Your Voice: Common Habits of Successful Businesses," Strategic Relationship Building Networking Group, Lake Mary, FL, September 2011.
- "Ethical Considerations in Creating a Culture of Diversity in Law Firms," Orange County Bar Association, Orlando, FL, August 2011.
- "Fundamentals of Law Practice Management" ABA, Dubai, Sharjah, Qatar, UAE, May 2011.
- "What Law School Didn't Teach You: Self-Advocacy for Survival and Sustainability," ABA-CLE, ABA Law Practice Management, Spring 2010 Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, April 2010.
- "How to Keep Your License While Practicing Law," The University of Toledo College of Law, Toledo, OH, April 2010.
- "Ethics of a Solo/Small Firm Practice," Florida A&M University College of Law, Orlando, FL, November, 2009.
- "The Diversity Dilemma," ABA Law Practice Management Law Firm Marketing Strategies Conference, Washington, D.C., November 2007.
- "Diversity: A Culture of Inclusion," ABA Law Practice Management Section, Fall 2007 Meeting, San Juan, PR, October 2007.
- "Fulfilling the Diversity Initiative: Meeting the Expectations of the Law Firm, the Diverse Workforce, and the Client, "Presidential CLE Showcase Program, ABA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, August 2007.
- “Sarbanes-Oxley: What It Means for Engineers,” workshop presented to the Society of Women Engineers 2006 Region D Conference, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, March 2006.
- “Conflicts of Interest for Corporate Counsel,” presented to members of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Central Florida Chapter, Orlando, FL, March 2006.
- “Ethical Considerations in Dealing with the Internal Client,” presented to the legal staff of Marriott, Orlando, FL, October 2005.
Bar Association Public Service
Council for Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipeline (2016-2017)
- Chair, Goal III Subcommittee – Pathway to the Profession (2016-2017)
Law Practice Division (2003- Present)
- House of Delegates (2018 – Present)
- Executive Leadership (2009-2014)
- Diversity and Inclusion Chair (2007 – 2009; 2015 – 2016)
- Member Outreach; Diversity & Inclusion; and Finance Committee Member (2015 – Present)
Section on Science and Technology Law (2014 – Present)
- Council Member (2017 – Present)
- Vice Chair, Membership ad Diversity Committee (2016 – Present)
ABA Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (2005 – Present)
ABA Law School Site Team Member - covering faculty and finances (2013)
The Florida Bar
- CLE Committee (2015-2016)
- Business Law Section, Executive Council, Strategic Planning Committee Chair (2014 – 2015)
State Bar of Michigan (2002 -2006)
- Council Member
- Former Editor and Publisher of the Law Practice Management quarterly newsletter
Professional Organizations, Affiliations and Awards
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Center for Multicultural Wellness and Prevention; Board Member & Treasurer (2008-2013)
- Central Florida Freedom Schools, Inaugural Board Member & Treasurer (2004-2016)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Rotary Club of San Diego
- T/J Technologies, Inc., Inaugural Board Member, Corporate Secretary (1992 -2003)
- The Hon. J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court, Master
Back to Top of the Page