Maurice Hew, Jr.
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1006
Joined the faculty in 2006.
J.D., Loyola University School of Law, New Orleans, LA
B.S., Loyola University, New Orleans, LA
Administrative Trial Practice
Administrative Law Clinic
- Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2016-Present)
- Director of Clinical Education, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2012-2015)
- Associate Professor, Clinical Legal Studies Program, and Immigration Clinic Director, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2005-2016)
- All State Court Convictions for Possession of Drug Paraphernalia Are Not Necessarily Related to Controlled Substances Under the Categorical or Modified Approaches for Immigration Removal, 5 T. Marshall L.J. Gender Race, & Just. 25 (2015).
- Expanding the Civil Privilege of Being Represented by Counsel through the Presumed Prejudice Doctrine, 17 UDC/DCSL L. Rev. 46 (2014).
- Under the Circumstances Padilla v. Kentucky, Erroneously Excuses Fundamental Fairness and Leaves Professional Responsibility Lost, 32 B. C. J. L. & SOC. JUST. 31 (2012).
- The Fourth Amendment's Further Gouging of the Plenary Power Doctrine, 2012 EMERGING ISSUES ANALYSIS 6687 (Oct 2012).
- Crimmigration: Constitutionalization of the Plea Bargaining Process after Missouri v. Frye and Lafler v. Cooper, 2012 EMERGING ISSUES ANALYSIS 6298 (April 2012).
- The Supreme Court's Resuscitation of the Fleuti Doctrine In Vartelas, and Its Possible Applications, 2012 EMERGING ISSUES ANALYSIS 6292 (April 2012).
- The Moment of Perception Triggers the Plea for the Purposes of the St. Cyr Analysis or the Section 212(c) Waiver, Not the Plea of Guilty or the Judgment of Conviction, 38 U. MEM. L. REV. 799 (2008).
Admissions, Licensures and Certifications
- Board Certified, Immigration and Nationality Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Supreme Court of the United States;
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit;
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Bar Number
- State Bar of Louisiana, LA Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana;
- Notary Public for the State of Louisiana
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff