Dannnye K. Holley, Dean and Professor of Law

Self Help Legal Forms

In the event that the Earl Carl Institute is unable to represent you, you may register with this site and prepare your documents for Court.  Please remember that when you represent yourself in Court, the Court holds you to the same standard as a practicing attorney.  Therefore, you may want to reference our Texas Resources page for websites that can provide you with information or other representation.

The program will ask you a series of questions related to the document you requested for your case.  Please answer the questions as completely and honestly as you can.  If you have been served with Court papers you may need to refer to them for the Cause number, Court number, and proper parties.   You will be prompted by the system to answer a battery of questions pertaining to your case until all of the necessary information is gathered for your document to be drafted.  The program will compile all of the information you entered and will prepare a document suitable to be filed with the Court.

 All of the forms prepared by this website comply with Texas law and are particularly formed for the Courts in Harris and its surrounding counties.  Any information given to you by this program is not to be considered or construed as legal advice given by the Earl Carl Institute or with representation by the Earl Carl Institute.

Click here to register for this service and to begin generating your form. (Form Generator Coming Soon)

Legal Resources

Houston Bar Association
1001 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77002-6732
(713) 759-1133

Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
Special Units within the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program handle family law, Bankruptcy, HIV/AIDS, problems with the elderly, and victims of domestic violence. Call 713-228-0732.

Houston Lawyer Referral Service
HLRS provides referrals to over 400 private practice attorneys who have been screened and selected on experience in specific areas of the law. HLRS serves individuals with a legal matter in the Houston Metropolitan area including Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston counties, Texas. Call 713-759-1133.

Dispute Resolution Center of Harris County
Offers residents of Harris County a free alternative to legal action.  Services include community-based mediation, court-ordered mediation, arbitration, and moderated settlement conferences.  Call 713-755-8274.

Legal Line -The Houston Bar Association offers free legal advice over the telephone through LegalLine. Call 713-759-1133.

Veteran Legal Advice Clinics- The Houston Bar Association sponsors Veterans Legal Advice Clinics each Friday, from 2:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center. Call 713-228-0732.

Thurgood Marshall School of Law Clinics- Civil, Family, Wills, Immigration & Criminal (Misdemeanor) Call 713-313-7275.

Texas Law Help
TexasLawHelp is a one-stop website where low-income Texans can get information about their legal rights and find out about free legal assistance in their area.

Legal Aid of Northwest Texas
Provides free civil legal services to eligible low income residents in 114 Texas Counties, with offices in Abilene, Amarillo, Brownwood, Dallas, Denton, Fort Worth, Lubbock, McKinney, Midland, Odessa, Plainview, San Angelo, Waxahachie, Weatherford and Wichita Falls. Call 888-529-5277.

Texas Access.org
Provides legal advice to non-custodial parents regarding access, visitation, and custody, paternity establishment, the child support order process, modifications and enforcements. Call (866) 292-4636 weekdays from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. to speak to an attorney.

Lone Star Legal Aid
Lone Star Legal Aid provides free civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and families who have immediate needs but cannot afford an attorney. Call 713-652-0077 or 800-733-8394.

United States Courts
Provides insight into the country’s Federal Court System with downloadable forms used in its Court proceedings.

Attorney General Office
Texas Attorney General serves and protects the rights of all citizens of Texas through the activities of the various divisions of the agencies. Actions that benefit all citizens of this state include enforcement of health, safety and consumer regulations; educational outreach programs and protection of the rights of the elderly and disabled. Call (512) 463-2100.

Secretary of State
The website contains forms and educational materials on forming and operating various types of business organizations like Limited Liability Companies and Non-profit Corporations. Call (512) 463-5600.

TRAIL: Texas Records & Information Locator
TRAIL provides access to Texas state government information contained in electronic publications. TRAIL facilitates ready access to the information for Texas citizens and other users.

Trial Courts
Provide downloadable forms and other case related information. 

Texas State Law Library


The Texas State Law Library serves the legal research needs of the Court of Criminal Appeals, Supreme Court, Office of the Attorney General, other state agencies and commissions and the citizens of the state. Call 512-463-1722.

Health and Human Services Commission
Provides assistance with: Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Food Stamps and Nutritional Programs, Family Violence Services, Refugee Services, Disaster Assistance. Call 2-1-1, or 1-877-541-7905

Texas Workforce Commission
For job seekers, TWC offers career development information, job search resources, training programs, and, as appropriate, unemployment benefits.

Dept. of Housing & Community Affairs
TDHCA serves as a financial and administrative resource that helps provide essential services and affordable housing opportunities to Texans who qualify for this assistance based on their income level. Additionally, the Department is a resource for educational materials and technical assistance for housing, housing related, and community services matters.

Texas Department of Aging
This website provides information on care facilities for disabled or older Texans. They handle complaints by consumers, family members and the general public, as well as concerns and questions regarding the facilities/agencies regulated by DADS, the Mental Retardation Authorities and DADS' services.

Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner
The mission of the Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner (OCCC) is to regulate the credit industry and educate consumers and creditors, thereby producing a fair, lawful, and healthy credit environment for social and economic prosperity in Texas. Call 800.538.1579.

Department of Protective & Regulatory Services
Previously called the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services, DFPS is charged with protecting children, adults who are elderly or have disabilities living at home or in state facilities, and licensing group day-care homes, day-care centers, and registered family homes. Call 1-800-252-5400 unless there is an emergency.

Window on State Government
The Comptroller is the chief steward of the state’s finances, acting as tax collector, chief accountant, chief revenue estimator and chief treasurer for all of state government. Call 1-800-252-5555.

State of Texas Homepage
You can renew vehicle registration, order driver record, Renew driver license, order vital records, pay sales tax, file court documents.

List of Texas County websites
Has links to all Texas counties.




Back to Top of the Page

© 2023 Thurgood Marshall School of Law. All Rights Reserved.
3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004 Ph: 713.313.4455  Fax: 713.313.1049