Associate Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1008
JD, Magna Cum Laude from Suffolk University Law School
BS, Northeastern University
Commercial Law and
Peter Marchetti’s teaching and research interests are in the following areas: bankruptcy and reorganization, finance, secured transactions, commercial law, banking law, business associations, commercial transactions, contracts and law and economics. Before joining academia, Peter worked as in-house counsel at WestLB AG, which, at the time, was an international commercial bank with world-wide operations. While working at WestLB, Peter worked on capital markets transactions (including swaps, other derivatives and repos), chapter 11 bankruptcy matters and a wide variety of commercial finance transactions (including real estate finance, asset backed lending, lending to oil and gas companies and project finance). Before working at WestLB, Peter was an associate at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft and at Thelen, Reid & Priest in New York City. Prior to entering private practice, he served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court.
- Amending the Flaws in the Safe Harbors of the Bankruptcy Code: Guarding Against Systemic Risk in the Financial Markets and Adding Stability to the System, 31 EMORY BANKR. DEV. J.305(2015).
- Metavante vs. Section 2(a)(iii)(1) of the ISDA Master Agreement: The Context is Everything, 31 FUTURES & DERIVATIVES L. REP. 18 (Apr. 2011) (with Sherri Venokur).
- Lehman Decision Holds That Mutuality Must Exist to Exercise a Right of Setoff, 29 AM. BANKR. INST. J. 30 (July/Aug. 2010).
- Trapped Between a Rock and a Hard Place, 30 FUTURES & DERIVATIVES L. REP. 14 (June 2010).
- The Bankruptcy Court’s Ruling in the Lehman-Metavante Matter—Has the Ticking Time Bomb of Enron vs. TXU Exploded or Been Defused?, 30 FUTURES & DERIVATIVES L. REP. 1 (Feb. 2010).
- Is the Agreement a Simple Supply or Swap? A Post-BAPCPA Case of First Impression in the Fourth Circuit, 28 AM. BANKR. INST. J. 30 (Apr. 2009).
- Critical Vendor Motions, THE BANKRUPTCY STRATEGIST, June 2003 (with Daniel A. Lowenthal, III).
- The Impact of the European Monetary Union on the Continuity of International Contracts, 23.1 SUFFOLK TRANSNAT’L L. REV. 355 (1999).
- Recent Issues in Lender Liability, Lender Liability and Workouts Joint Subcommittee Meeting at the American Bar Association Business Law Section Spring Meeting in Montreal, QC, Canada (April 7, 2016)
- Amend Section 546 of the Bankruptcy Code, 11th Annual International Conference on Contracts (February 26, 2016)
- A Proposal to Amend the Flaws in the Safe Harbors of the Bankruptcy Code to Guard Against Systemic Risk in the Financial Markets and to Restore Confidence in the Financial System, 9th Annual International Conference on Contracts (February 21, 2014).
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff