Thomas E. Kleven
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-7355
Joined the faculty in 1974.
B.A., 1964 Yale University
L.L.B., 1967 Yale University
- Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1980 - Present)
- University of San Diego (1978-1979)
- University of Southern California (1972-1974)
- Boston Model Cities Program (1969-1972)
- Associate, Goulston & Storrs, Boston, MA (1967-1969)
- Equitable Sharing: Distributing the Benefits and Detriments of Democratic Society, Lexington Books, 2014.
- Federalizing Public Education, 55 VILL. L. REV. 369 (2010).
- Systemic Classism, Systemic Racism: Are Social and Racial Justice Achievable in the United States?, 8 CONN. PUB. INT. L. J. 37 (2009).
- Mandating Public School Attendance: A Proposal for Achieving Racial and Class Integration, 34 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 109 (2008).
- The Democratic Right to Full Bilingual Education, 7 NEV. L. J. 933 (2007).
- Is Capital Punishment Immoral Even If It Deters Murder?, 46 SANTA CLARA L. REV. 599 (2006). Reprinted in Death Penalty: New Dimensions 24-60 (Ifcai Univ. Press, 2007).
- Brown's Lesson: To Integrate or Separate Is Not the Question, But How to Achieve a Non-Racist Society, 5 U. MD. L. J. RACE, RELIGION, GENDER & CLASS 43 (2005).
- On the Freedom To Associate or Not To Associate With Others, 1 TENN. J. L. & POL'Y 69 (2004).
- Why International Law Favors Emigration Over Immigration, 33 U. MIAMI INTER-AM L. REV. 69 (2002).
- Private Property and Democratic Socialism, 21 LEGAL STUD. F. 1 (1997).
- Ideology as Moral Discourse or Struggle for Power, SOCIAL PHILOSOPHY TODAY, 8:37-50 (1993).
- Free Speech and the Struggle for Power, 9 N.Y.L. SCH. J. HUM. RTS. 315 (1992).
- Book Report, P. Harvey, Securing the Right to Employment: Social Welfare Policy and the Unemployed in the United States, Nature, Society, and Thought, 5:124-128 (1992).
- The Public Private Distinction: Does It Promote Democracy or Serve the Ruling Class?, Nature, Society, and Thought, 4:393-410 (1991).
- The Bar Examination and Other Barriers to African and Hispanic American Fair Representation Among American Lawyers: A 1990 Update, 16 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 477 (1991) (co-author).
- The Relative Autonomy of the United States Supreme Court, 1 YALE J. L. & LIB. 43 (1989).
Coping With Contradiction: Reason, Intuition, and Praxis, NEWSLETTER OF THE CONFERENCE ON CRITICAL LEGAL STUDIES, 46-50, (Nov, 1989).
- Critical Thinking and the Absence of Foundations, NEWSLETTER OF THE CONFERENCE ON CRITICAL LEGAL STUDIES, 52-54, (July 1988). Reprinted in Macquarie Law Students' Journal, 1:13-15 (1989).
- Cultural Bias and the Issue of Bilingual Educations, SOCIAL POLICY, 19:9-12 (Summer, 1988).
- Minorities and the Legal Profession: Current Platitudes, Current Barriers, 12 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 299 (1987) (co-author).
- Inclusionary Ordinances and the Nexus Issue, in Inclusionary Zoning Moves Downtown, 109-129 (1985)
- The Moral Implications of the Draft, 10 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 57 (1985).
- The Constitutional Philosophy of Justice William H. Rehnquist, 8 VT. L. REV. 1 (1983). Reprinted in The Supreme Court of the United States, Vol. 12A, 1695-1748 (Wm. S. Hein & Co., (1989).
- The Supreme Court, Race, and the Class Struggle, 9 HOFSTRA L. REV. 795 (1981).
- Inclusionary Ordinances-Policy and Legal Issues in Requiring Private Developers to Build Low Cost Housing, 21 UCLA L. REV. 1432 (1974).
Recognition and Awards
- Graduation Speaker, 2008-09
- Faculty Member of the Year, 2002-03
- TSU Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 1995-96
- CLSA Professor of the Year, 1995-96
- TSU Outstanding Teacher of the Year, 1991-92
- Third Year Class Favorite Professor, 1991-92
- ClassCrits Conference
- People of Color Legal Scholarship Conference
- Radical Philosophers Association
- The Communist Ideal
- A Critique of Libertarianism
- Cuba: Our Other Neighbor to the South, University Faculty Voice, October, 2002
- Time Has Come to End Cruelty of Iraq Embargo, Houston Chronicle, March 8, 1995
- Moral Justifications for Death Penalty Invalid, Houston Chronicle, March 21, 1994
- De Facto Segregation Still Exists-and All of Us Suffer From It, Houston Post, August 17, 1992
- Why Not a World Full of Equals? Houston Chronicle, May 24, 1992
- Cynical Thomas Bid Should Be Rejected, Houston Post, September 1, 1991
- The Gulf War, Vietnam, and Our Way of Life, The Solicitor, TSU Law School, March 1991
- Respect, The University Faculty Voice, February 1986
- Views of South Africa: People Never Cede Power Voluntarily, Houston Chronicle, July 12, 1985
- Jackson Trip Tells Us About Reagan Policy, Houston Chronicle, January 17, 1984
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff