Walter T. Champion
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-4474
Joined the faculty in 1984.
J.D., Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, 1982
MSLS, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 1977
Ph.D., Candidate, History, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, 1975-1976
M.A., Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL, 1975
B.A., Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA, 1973
Amateur Sports Law
Baseball and the Law
- George Foreman Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston TX (2006-2012)
- Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston TX (1993-Present)
- Associate Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston TX (1990-1993)
- Assistant Professor and Law Librarian, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston TX (1984-1990)
- Judicial Clerk, Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia, PA (1983-1984)
- Law Librarian, Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, PA (1981-1984)
- Legal Writer, Pennsylvania Law Journal-Reporter, Philadelphia, PA (1981-1984)
- Law Clerk, Cozen, Begier & O'Connor, Philadelphia, PA (1980)
- Legal Editor, American Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA (1977-1980)
- Librarian, Office of Aging, Philadelphia, PA (1977)
- Teaching Assistant, Department of History, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA (1975-1976)
- Teaching Assistant, Department of History, Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL (1973-1975)
- Music Industry Contracts: Cases, Documents, and Materials (forthcoming 2016).
- Amateur Sports: Cases, Documents, and Materials (forthcoming 2016).
- Entertainment Law: Cases, Documents, and Materials (2015).
- Recreational Injuries Cases, Documents, and Materials (2015).
- A Seasick Blackjack Dealer on a Moored Riverboat Casino Is Not a “Seaman” Under the Jones Act, 42 Northern Ky. L. Rev. 493 (2015).
- The Rise and Fall of Kirk Wright: The NFLPA’s Fiduciary Obligation as Third-Party Guarantor of ‘Certified Financial Advisors’, 4 Miss. Sports L. Rev. 1 (2015) (Lead Article).
- Fundamentals of Sports Law (2d revised ed., 2004; ann. Supps. 2d ed. Dec. 2004-Dec. 2015).
- Sports Law: Cases, Documents, and Materials (2d ed. 2014).
- Baseball and the Law: Cases, Documents, and Materials (2014).
- Intellectual Property Law in the Sports and Entertainment Industries (2014).
- Business Laws of Colombia (2009; revised eds., Dec. 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014).
- The Ethical Dilemma of Local Ordinances that Purport to Deport Illegal Aliens, 89 U. Det. Mercy L. Rev. 299 (2012) (with Lawrence Ruddell & Danyahel Norris).
- Gaming Law in a Nutshell (2012) (with I. Nelson Rose), (2nd edition, 2018)
- Sports Ethics for Sports Management Professionals (2012) (with Richard Karcher & Lawrence Ruddell). (2nd Edition 2019)
- Obama vs. Bush on Steroids: Two Different Approaches to a Pseudo-Controversy-Or is it Really Worthy of Note in a State of the Union Address?, 36 T. Marshall L. Rev. 193 (2011) (with Danyahel Norris)
- Sports Law in a Nutshell, (5th ed. 2017).
- Sports Law: Cases, Documents, and Materials, (2005). (2nd Edition, 2014)
- Various lectures and conferences on Sport & Entertainment Law, Champion Sports Enterprises, 1994
- Various speeches and radio appearances on Sports Law
Law Review Articles
- The Life and Times of Napolean Beazley: The Effect (if Any) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights on Texas' 17 & up Execution Standard, 28 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 1 (2002) (with Hurdle, Ronald B.).
- Trade Dress as the Only Club in the Bag to Protect Golf Club manufacturers from "Knock-Offs" of their Prized Boutique Golf Clubs, 3 TEX. REV. ENT. & SPORTS L. 43 (Spr. 2002) (W/Burleson).
- The Great Dodgers-Wrigley Field Melee: A Bar Exam Question in the Making?, 2 TEX. REV. ENT. & SPORTS L. 43(2001).
The Evolution of a Standard of Care for Injured College Athletes: A Review of Kleinknecht and Progeny, 1 VA. J. SPORTS & L. 290 (1999).
- A Critical Look at the So-Called Locker Room Mentality as a Means to Rationalize the Drug Testing of Student Athletes, 4 VILL. SPORTS & ENT. L. J. (1997).
- Attorneys QUA Sports Agents: An Ethical Conundrum, 7 MARQ. SPORTS L. J. 349 (1996).
- The Baseball Antirust Exemption Revisited: 21 Years after Flood v. Kuhn, 19 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 573 (1994).
- The NCAA's Drug Testing Policies: Walking a Constitutional Tightrope?, 67 N.D. L. REV. 269 (1991).
- "At the Ol 'Ball Game" and Beyond: Spectators and the Potential for Liability, 14 AM. J. TRIAL ADVOC. 495 (1991).
- The Texas 'No Pass, No Play' Controversy; 14 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 27 (1988-1989).
- Many other articles (about 500) in history, library science, age discrimination, sports & entertainment law, disability law, boxing law; Sports Law Columnist for Pennsylvania law Journal-Reporter, 1981-1984, and Houston Chronicle, 1990-1993.
- Admitted to Practice, Pennsylvania (1982) and Texas (1993)
- E.D. PA., Third Circuit and Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Consultant, Board of Editors
- Contract Consultant, Association of Boxing Commissioners, 1994-1995
- Consultant, Kauffman Sport Management, Philadelphia & Malibu, 1981-1985
- CLSA Co-Professor of the Year, 1987
- SBA Professor of the Year, 1995
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff
© 2016 Thurgood Marshall School of Law. All Rights Reserved.
3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004 Ph: 713.313.4455 Fax: 713.313.1049