Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-7159
Alternate Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Joined the faculty in 2000.
View my academic publications at http://ssrn.com/author=507918
View my new talk show at www.MeetTheProfessors.org
LL.M., University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1999
J.D., University of Southern California-Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 1989
B.A., University of Washington-Seattle, Seattle, WA, 1986
Law Practice Management
- Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2007- Present)
- Associate Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2004-2007)
- Assistant Professor of Law, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2000-2004)
- Board Member, PTAVE (2007-Present)
- Board Member, EPOCH-USA (2005-Present)
- Policy Analyst, The Elected Lost Angeles Charter Reform Commission, Los Angeles, CA (1998)
- Private Practice/Litigation (Licensed in CA and WA) (1989-Present)
- Supreme Court Decision on Violent Video Games Was Based on the First Amendment, Not Scientific Evidence, 69 Am. Psychol. 307 (2014) (with Brad Bushman).
- Constitutionalized Negligence, 89 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1065 (2012).
- Implicit Bias-Inspired Torts, in Implicit Racial Bias Across the Law 61 (Justin D. Levinson & Robert J. Smith eds., 2012).
- Snyder v. Phelps: A Slice of the Facts and Half an Opinion, 2011 Cardozo L. Rev. de novo 64 (2011).
- Do Violent Video Games Harm Children? Comparing the Scientific Amicus Curiae “Experts” in Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association, 106 Nw. U. L. Rev. Colloquy 1 (2011) (with Brad J. Bushman & Craig A. Anderson) (Lead Article).
- Children’s Developmental Vulnerability and the Roberts Court’s Child Protective Jurisprudence: An Emerging Trend?, 40 Stetson L. Rev. 777 (2011).
- Constitutionalized Negligence, 89 WASH. U. L. REV. 1065 (2012).
- Implicit Bias-Motivated Torts, in IMPLICIT RACIAL BIAS ACROSS THE LAW (Justin Levinson & Rob Smith, eds., 2012).
- Do Violent Video Games Harm Children? Comparing Scientific Amicus Curiae "Experts" in Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association, 106 NW. U. L. REV. COLLOQUY 1 (2011)
(co-authored by Brad J. Bushman and Craig A. Anderson).
- Snyder v. Phelps, The Supreme Court's Speech-Tort Jurisprudence, and Normative Considerations, 120 YALE L. J. ONLINE 193 (2010) (Feature Essay).
- State Actors Beating Children: A Call for Judicial Relief, 42 U.C. DAVIS L. REV. 1165 (2009), cited in Nolan v. Memphis City Schools, 598 F.3d 257, 268, n. 1 (6th Cir. 2009).
- Intentional Sex Torts, 77 FORDHAM L. REV. 1051 (2008).
- Elements of Liberty, 61 S.M.U. L. REV. 1557 (2008).
- Sex Torts, 91 MINN. L. REV. 769 (2007).
- Wrongful Analysis in Wrongful Life Jurisprudence, 55 ALA. L. REV. 327 (2004).
- Banning Child Corporal Punishment, 77 TUL. L. REV. 575 (2003).
- Banning Corporal Punishment A Constitutional Analysis, 52 AM. U. L. REV. 447 (2002).
- Regulating Violent Pornography, 43 VAND. L. REV. 125 (1990).
- Unconscious Bias and Self Critical Analysis: The Case for a Qualified Evidentiary Equal Employment
Opportunity Privilege, 74 WASH. L. REV. 913 (1999).
Sexual Harassment: What Is It? What Can You Do About It?, Washington Trial Lawyers Association
Annual Employment Law Seminar (1995).
Reinstating Common Law Marriage, California Legislature Joint Task Force on the Changing Family,
Reinstating Common Law Marriage in California Couples: Recognizing Diversity & Strengthening
Fundamental Relationships (1988).
Media and Public Speaking
- MSNBC. New York, NY. Appeared on Dan Abrams’s show to debate the proposed Massachusetts
legislation to prohibit spanking. Nov. 28, 2007.
- Fox News Channel. New York, NY. Appeared on various national news segments, virtual roundtable. May,
2005 – present.
- New England Cable News Network. Boston, MA. Debated Chester Darling on children’s rights regarding
corporal punishment. Jan. 14, 2005. Appeared on Amanda Lasseter’s talk show regarding proposed
- Channel 9 News (KUSA), Denver, CO. Interviewed by Law Professor Jan Laitos on “@ISSUE” segment of
Ten O’Clock News regarding various topics, including American children’s rights, sexual disease, and
- Fox 26 News at Nine, Houston, TX. Various appearances relating to various legal topics, including civil liability
for transmitting a sexual disease, the Bush v. Gore case in the 2000 Presidential Election and the Americans
with Disabilities Act. November, 2000 – present.
- KPFT, Houston, Texas. Guest on George Reiter’s talk show regarding corporal punishment of children and the
harms associating with hitting children. Feb. 17, 2005.
- WMAL, Wash., D.C., Jan. 21, 2000. Discussed Southwest Airlines lawsuit.
- KTSU, Houston, Texas, July, 2001. Discussed unconscious bias and corporal punishment of children.
- Press conference on Texas House Bill 2413 (to ban school paddling). April, 2005.
- Testified in favor of James Marzilli’s bill to ban parental spanking, Boston, 2005
- Testified in favor of Alma Allen’s bill to ban school paddling, Austin, 2005.
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff