Elsa Y. Ransom
Associate Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1047
Joined the faculty in 1990.
J.D., University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 1987
M.S., Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 1970
B.S., Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1969
Seminar on Patent Law
- Associate Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1995-Present)
- Assistant Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1992-1995)
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX
- Associate Program Director, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Austin, TX (1987-1990)
- Summer Law Clerk, Board of Regents, Texas State University System, Austin, TX (1986)
- Assistant Professor, Communications, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX (1979-1986)
- Television News Producer, Anchor, Reporter, NBC News (WKYC-TV), Cleveland, OH (1973-1978)
- Television News Producer, Anchor, Reporter, (KPRC-TV), Houston, TX (1970-1973)
- The Ex-Public Figure: A Libel Plaintiff Without a Class, 5 SETON HALL J. SPORT L. 389 (1995).
- Home: No Place for "Law Enforcement Theatricals" - The Outlawing of Police/Media Home Invasions in Ayeni v. Mottola, 16 LOY. L.A. ENT. L.J. 325 (1995).
- Speaker, Lyceum and Cultural Arts sponsored TSU Jazz Symposium, presentation on Legal Issues of Importance to Recording Artists, Houston, TX, 1994-1995.
- Volunteer Legal Consultant for Ft. Bend County YMCA Teen Court Program in FBISD Schools, 1994-1995.
- Speaker, Careers in Law, HISD Contemporary Learning Center, sponsored through Boy Scouts of America, 1994-1995.
- Speaker, Faculty Photocopying and the Copyright Law: What are the Legal Limits?, 1993-1994.
- The New World Information Order: An Analysis of It's Impact on the International Law of Communication (1987).
- The Out Influence Exception of Texas Rules Concerning Juror Testimony on Jury Misconduct (1987).
- The Semiconductor Chip Protection Act of 1984
- Needed Cure or Needless Proliferation? (1986).
- Public Figures and the Passage of Time--An Attempt to Escape the Sullivan Standard (1986).
- The Right of Publicity (1986).
- Evaluation Team Member, convened by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, San Antonio, TX, 1995-1996
- Committee Member, Academic Standards, Curriculum, Scholarship and Development, 1995-1996
- Faculty Advisor, Intellectual Property Society, 1995-1996
- Acting Chair, University Residency Appeals Committee
- Chair, Discipline Committee; Curriculum Committee; Faculty Awards Committee; Rank and Tenure Ad Hoc Committee, 1993-1994
- Committee Member Admissions, Curriculum, 1992
- Faculty Advisor, Intellectual Property Society, 1992
Research and Teaching Interests
- Civil Procedure I, II
- Case Analysis
- Appellate Litigation
- Torts I, II
- Communications Law Seminar
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff