Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-1027
Joined the faculty in 1991.
J.D. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
B.S., Broadcast Journalism, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1998-Present)
- Interim Dean, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1999)
- Interim Associate Dean, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1998)
- Associate Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston,TX (1991-1998)
- Professional Responsibility: Basic Concepts (2014) (with Luckett Anthony Johnson).
- Bail: Reforming Policies to address Overcrowded Jails, the Impact of Race on Detention, and Community Revival in Harris County, Texas, with Luckett A. Johnson, 7 NW. J. L. & SOC. POL'Y. 42 (2012).
- Marcia Johnson and Luckett A. Johnson,"Defending Foreclosure Actions", 49 REAL EST. L. J. 516 (2012).
- Marcia Johnson et al., "The Future of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities: Reframing the Debate", J. Race Gender & Poverty
- Will the Current Economic Crisis Fuel a Return to Racist Homeownership Policies?, 6 MOD. AM. 25 (2010). The State of Black Houston Now (2010).
- Addressing Housing Needs in the Post Katrina Gulf Coast, 31 T. MARSHALL L. REV., 327 (Spring 2006).
- Lead Appellate Counsel in the Amicus Curaie Brief, Shirley Neeley, In Her Official Capacity As The Commissioner Of Education, Et Al., V. West Orange-Cove Consolidated I.S.D., Et Al., June 2005.
- Abstinence Plus Health Science Textbooks and Curricula Best Serve Texas Students, (2004) (A position paper) (on file with the Earl Carl Institute www.earlcarlinstitute.org).
- Marcia Johnson & JaPaula Kemp, The Effect of Educating Prisoners, 7 J.L. & SOC. CHANGE 1 (2003).
- Texas Urban Academic Initiative, An Action Plan, supervising and lead author (2009).
- The History of the NAACP in Texas, supervising and lead author (2009).
- The Color of Justice in America, supervisor (2008).
- Alternative Education Programs, Are They a Direct Route to Prison?, supervisor (2008).
- The Need for a Public Defender's Office in Harris County, supervisor (2008).
- Texas Southern University, Where to From Here?, lead author (2007).
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit Federal Court for the Southern District of Texas
- National Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Board Member, Harris County Public Defender Board
- Committee Member, Texas Bar Ethics Grievance Committee
- Director, Earl Carl Institute for Legal and Social Policy
- Board Member, Affordable Communities Development Program
- Board Member, METRO Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas
- Board Member, Texas High Speed Rail Authority
- Board Member, The Women's Center
- Board Member, Texas Freedom Network
- Board Member, Neighborhood Recovery Community Development Corporation
- Board Member, MacGregor Park Community Development Corporation
- Board Member, Acres Homes Citizen's Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, Acres Homes Center for Education and Economic Development
- Counsel to Faculty Senate and Faculty Assembly, Texas Southern University
- Vice Chair, Houston Forensic Science, LGC, Inc.
- Executive Committee, Harris County Coalition for Juvenile and Criminal Justice Reform
- Member, Board of Advisors, Annam Community Development Corporation
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff