McKen V. Carrington
Professor of Law
Phone: (713) 313-4241
Joined the faculty in 1984.
J.D., Albany Law School, Albany, NY, 1982
B.S., Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY, 1979
Wills and Trusts
- Professor, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1991-Present)
- Dean, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (2005-2009)
- Interim Dean, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX, (2002-2005) and (1995-1997)
- Chair, Texas Southern University Faculty Senate/Assembly (2001-2002)
- Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1992-1995)
- Associate Dean of Administration, Texas Southern University, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, TX (1987-1992)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX (1988, 1991)
- Director, Intercollegiate Athletics, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX (1993-1994)
- Director, Campus Safety and Security, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX (1986-1987)
Professor McKen V. Carrington’s professional career consists of academic, corporate and government service. His academic service includes law teaching, academic administration, overseas academic service, membership of accreditation teams, as well as service to national legal education organizations. Professor Carrington’s academic career also includes service as a member of accreditation teams to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) as well as the American Bar Association. He has other national service as the head of an LSAC task force, member of an LSAC task force as well as a Committee member. Professor Carrington’s work includes service as the lead liaison for the American Bar Association's African Law Initiative Sister Law School Project in Malawi, Africa. The project resulted in several faculty exchanges, a Fulbright Scholarship and library development at both the High Court of Malawi and the University of Malawi. Professor Carrington’s academic career includes service as Dean and Professor of Law at the Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Chair of the Texas Southern University Faculty Senate/Assembly, the University Rank Tenure and Promotion Committee, as well as the Advisory Committee on the Faculty Manual.
Fame, Family Feuds, Lack of Estate Planning, and Ethical Misconduct in the Administration of the Billion-Dollar Legacy of Bob Marley, 4 Est. Plan. & Community Prop. L.J. 53 (2011) (with Christopher Ogolla).
- Book Review: In Struggle Against Jim Crow, Lulu White and the NAACP by Merline Pitre, Texas A&M Press, 26 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 107 (2000).
- Book Review: Thurgood Marshall, American Revolutionary by Juan Williams, Times Books 1998 PP 459 $27.50, S. U. L. J. 81 (1999).
- Commentary: Bush Threatens Separation of Church and State, Texas Lawyer (September 20, 1999).
- The Demise of Race Based Scholarship: National Association of African-American Studies Conference Proceedings (1998).
- Legal Education in Malawi 23 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 56 (1997).
- TSU and the Bar Examination, A Question of Institutional Credibility 16 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 499 (1991).
- The Texas Inheritance Lottery 17 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 32 (1991) (with I.B. Usoro).
- Estate Planning for the Non-Taxable Estate 21 ST. MARY'S L. J. 367 (1989).
- Texas Probate Court Legislative Update, The Houston Lawyer (March 1988).
- Retirement Issues for Lawyers, Texas Bar Journal (May 1987).
- Renting Real Estate to Family Members, The Houston Lawyer (January 1986).
- Accommodation of Family Status in the Tax Treatment of Retirement Plans 12 T. MARSHALL L. REV. 47 (1986) (with Carl Poston).
Back to Top of the Page
Administration and Staff
© 2016 Thurgood Marshall School of Law. All Rights Reserved.
3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004 Ph: 713.313.4455 Fax: 713.313.1049