Dannnye K. Holley, Dean and Professor of Law

Financial Aid FAQ's


What is a T Number and how do I get a T Number?
Each admitted student is issued a Texas Southern University ID number, commonly referred to as a T-Number. The T-number will be provided on the admission letter and must be used to make your seat deposit. Please safeguard your T-Number as it is a unique identifying number for you. Once you have the T-Number, please include it on all correspondence with the University.

Do I need to fill out a FAFSA each year?
Yes, the FAFSA is now available beginning October 1st of each year for submission.

Do I need to have filed my current year’s taxes before I can complete the FAFSA?

No, the FAFSA collects the prior year’s tax information.

How long does it take for the FAFSA to process?

It takes 3-5 business days for the University to receive your FAFSA from the time you successfully submit your online FASFA application online through www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Must I include parental information?

All law students are considered independent for FA purposes (even if you were a dependent in the current tax year), and thus parental information is neither required nor considered.

Do I need to complete a separate application to apply for scholarships?

No, every student admitted to the Law School is considered for scholarship assistance without an additional application.

Are there any additional requirements that must be completed prior to my loan being awarded or certified?

Yes, admitted students should log into their MyTSU Web Portal to check for their Financial Aid Requirements:

  • Launch TSU Website www.tsu.edu.
  • Click MyTSU link to access the student web portal.
  • Click Prospective Student **Use your Student ID number assigned to you in your letter of admission and your DOB (mmddyy) as your password to log in.
  • Click Financial Aid Tab.
  • Click – My Eligibility.
  • Click Student Requirements and you will see any requirements needed to process your financial aid.

How do I complete Entrance or Exit Counseling?

To complete your Entrance or Exit Counseling:

  • Log in online at www.studentloans.gov with your FASA ID.
  • Under the Title “I Want To” you will click the 2nd tab “Complete Loan Counseling”. You will either click “Entrance Counseling” or “Exit Counseling”.

Note: The student loan website is not always available on weekends.

Must I accept approved Student Loans?

Although federal loans are included in the student’s federal award package, the student is not obligated to take the entire loan amount.  In order to complete the loan process, the student must:

  • Accept or reduce the Federal Direct Subsidized or Grad Plus Loan on the MYTSU portal. 
  • Complete Entrance Loan counseling at www.studentloans.gov. Entrance Loan counseling is a mandatory information session designed to provide information on the student’s rights and responsibilities.
  • Complete a Master Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov.

If you do not want to receive the approved loans, you may decline the loan. There are no punitive actions associated with reducing or declining the Federal Direct Loans. Click here for additional information on federal loan programs.

How do I sign my Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

You can complete the MPN online at www.studentloans.gov. You must wait approximately 48-72 hours after accepting loans and completing the Entrance Counseling.

  • Log in online at www.studentloans.gov.
  • Click on the 3rd tab labeled “Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)”.
  • For Subsidized/Unsubsidized for Undergraduate/Graduate (unsubsidized) student, click the 1st tab.
  • For PLUS MPN for Graduate/Professionals for Grad PLUS loans, click the 2nd tab.
  • For Parent PLUS loans, click the 3rd tab.

How will I know when the funds have paid into my account?

You will know your Financial Aid has been paid to your account by reviewing the Award History on the MyTSU Web portal. Here you will see what has paid to your account.

What is a Book Reserve?

In order to assist a student in paying for books, a portion of the approved student loan is advanced as a Book Reserve. Once financial aid has been paid to a student’s account, a credit will be applied to that student’s account in a predetermined amount for use in the University Book Store. When the student’s loan is disbursed, the amount of the Book Reserve that has been used will be deducted from any refund due to the student.  If a student pays for their books out of pocket and does not utilize the Book Reserve, this amount is not deducted and becomes part of their financial aid refund. To be eligible for a book reserve the student must have accepted and been approved for financial aid that will cover tuition and fees as well as the predetermined book reserve amount.

How do I get my financial aid refund?

A student is eligible for a financial aid refund once all tuition and fees due are paid resulting in an overpayment in the student account.  You may receive your refund in the form of a check, direct deposit, or your tiger card by visiting enroll.moneynetworkedu.com to enroll.  You will receive your refund more quickly by having the funds direct deposited.

I have Veteran’s Benefits.  How do I access those benefits?
Please visit: http://tsu.edu/students-services/departments/veterans-affairs/hazlewood.html.

If the Law School has awarded me a scholarship, can I use both the scholarship and my Veteran’s Post 911 or Hazlewood tuition benefits?

Scholarships awarded by the Law School may only be applied to Law School tuition. It may be applied to any tuition gap, if one remains, after military tuition benefits have been applied.

I have received a scholarship from an outside source. Can this scholarship be applied to the rest of the budget constituting the Cost of Attendance?

If tuition is fully covered by an outside source, the Law School Scholarship may not be used for any other law school related expenses. Whether the outside scholarship can be used for such other law school related expenses would depend on the intention of the outside scholarship. If the “outside” scholarship was designated to be used for tuition only, that scholarship would be applied to your tuition first and your law school scholarship would be used, or reduced, to cover whatever remainder of tuition was left, up to the value of the original award made by the Law School.

Scholarships by any entity specifically awarded to be used toward tuition may not be used for any other purpose and the total of all such scholarships awarded and applied to a student’s account may not exceed the cost of tuition.

What if my outside scholarship was only awarded for one year?

If the outside scholarship is not renewable, the original Law School Scholarship you were awarded would be reinstated in successive years if that is the only scholarship applied to your student account that year.

I attended law school previously, will I be considered for a scholarship?

A student who has previously attended any law school will not be considered for scholarship awards at TMSL.


Back to Top of the Page






Thurgood Marshall School of Law Thurgood Marshall School of Law Libray on Twitter
Center for Legal Pedagogy at Thurgood Marshall School of Law Thurgood Marshall School of Law on YouTube



© 2016 Thurgood Marshall School of Law. All Rights Reserved.
3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004 Ph: 713.313.4455  Fax: 713.313.1049